My pregnant cat is due anytime now and she is breathing a little heavy. Is she going into labor?
There are several signs you can notice that means your cat is ready to give a birth:
- She starts making the "nest" few days before giving birth
- She avoids her owner, or persistently seeking the owner
- She is very anxious before giving birth
- She is often licking her genitals, that means she is ready to give birth
- She loses her appetite
- She's meowing
- Few hours before giving birth, she will expel a mucus-like liquid from her genitals (after expelling liquid, she should have her first kitten in 10 to 12 hours)
- You can notice her contractions.
If you notice something weird, her leaking too much from her genitals or bleeding, you should take her as soon as possible to your veterinary clinic, as it could be a problem with the foetuses. Your veterinarian will examine her and if it is necessary, perform an ultrasound to make sure the pregnancy is going well, or if there is some problem. In case kittens have died inside the uterus, she could have had an infection that is critical to treat.
All the best,