If you have a pet at home, you know home cleaning is especially important: hair everywhere, mud, some peepee in the carpet... However, not all cleaning products are safe for pets, nor we can clean their bed, their litterbox or toys the same way.
Traditional cleaning products have chemicals that can put at risk our pet's health: bleach, chlorine, ammonia, formaldehyde or acids among others.
Sings of poisoning vary depending on the product and the contact with it.
By contact: skin and eye irritation
If ingested: physical discomfort, vomiting, seizures or even death.
If inhaled: asthma and breathing problems
5 Cleaning Products and Their Risks
Floor cleaners. They are very dangerous. Even if they dry, the product remains on the floor. And where does your pet spend most of his or her time?
Bathroom products. Especially dangerous if your pet has the bad habit of drinking water from the toilet. These products have chemicals that can burn his or her mouth and the throat.
Fabric softener. If ingested, may provoke ulcers and vomits.
Kitchen cleaners. Careful with sprays, since their particles may end up in your pet's bowl.
Air fresheners. Candles, sprays or electric fresheners can cause breathing problems to cats and dogs, specially if they already have an allergy or asthma.
Alternatives To Traditional Cleaning Products
Dilute the products with water, or use water to rinse the surface once it's dry. This might help to eliminate part of the product.
Green products are the safest option for the environment and our pets.
Use bicarbonate of soda to absorb unpleasant odors. You can sprinkle the carpet, for example, with some bicarbonate and after a couple of minutes just remove it with the vacuum cleaner. Mixed with warm water and salt helps cleaning your pet's bowl, but also the kitchen counter or the sink.
You can use vinegar diluted with water as a all-purpose cleaner. Its degreasing power works with windows and even clothes. If the vinegar smells too strong for you, use lemon instead.
If you have any questions, consult with a veterinarian.